With cold and flu season upon us…..you need to keep really hydrated, by drinking warm lemon water (see my previous post – Start your morning the right way), eat well, take a good quality multi-vitamin and omega 3 fish oils.
However if you’re currently suffering from a cold and you want to get better fast… Here’s an awesome smoothie that will kick that cold and help you cut your sick days down to 0. It’s easy to make fast, healthy simple smoothies part of your daily routine.
Cold Buster Smoothie
- 2 cups frozen or fresh pineapple
- 1 frozen or fresh ripe banana
- 1 cup coconut milk (you may need a bit more if you want a thinner consistency)
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 cup kale and/or spinach
Put all ingredients into a high powdered blender with the frozen fruit at the top, pour the liquid in and blend on high for about 30 seconds or less and serve.
Reasons why this smoothie is amazing
1. Pineapple is loaded with nutrients and enzymes including Bromelain which helps loosen up and dissolve mucus. Pineapple is useful for fighting bronchitis, chest congestion and the common cold or flu.
2. Pineapple flushes toxins out of the system and can be useful for cleansing the body during a time of illness.
3. Kale and spinach are also high in Vitamin C and contains anti-oxidants that fight free radicals in the body keeping your immune system strong and providing relief if you are suffering from the cold or flu.
4. Coconut can help relieve a sore throat, eat the meat or drink the milk.
5. Banana can be used to help soothe an upset stomach and is even useful if you are suffering from diarrhea.