Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior Guidelines for Children
For children, ages 5-11, the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology recommends the following guidelines:
Physical Activity Guidelines for Children
- 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous intense aerobic physical activity or energetic play every day
- Vigorous activities 3 days a week
- Muscle and Bone strengthening activities 3 days a week
What type of activities should children and youth be doing?
- Moderate Intensity Physical Activities
- Playground Activities
- Bike riding
- Vigorous Intensity Physical Activities
- Download Full PDF: Physical Activity Guidelines for Children
Sedentary Behavior Guidelines for Children
- Limit recreational screen time to no more than 2 hours a day
- Limit sedentary motorized transport, extended sitting and time spent indoors
- Download Full PDF: Sedentary Behavior Guidelines for Children
What are the benefits?
- Improved health
- Improved cholesterol, blood pressure, bone density
- Improved fitness
- Cardiorespiratory and musculoskeletal fitness
- Impacts our brain (memory)
- Improved learning, attention
- Decreased mental stress
Promoting Physical Activity With Your Child
For children who are physically inactive, start below the recommended levels and gradually increase the duration, frequency and intensity over time. This is not just the responsibility of the child or youth, but parents and caregivers can work together. Get your child to go to play on the playground after school, walk or bike to school or get the neighborhood kids together for a game of tag. There are so many ways to help your child get some physical activity, you just have to put your mind to it and you’re off!
- The 4 Best Exercises To Do for 2015 (Part 1) & (Part 2)
- How to limit the Damage of Screen-Time Related Pain
- Canadian Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior Guidelines
- Physical Activity & Sedentary Behavior Guidelines for the Early Years
Learn About Our East Vancouver Wellness Centre
We invite you to learn more about Backs in Action and visit with us in person! We are located a skytrain ride away from Burnaby and downtown Vancouver and are steps from the Commercial Broadway Skytrain!
2917 Hebb Avenue Vancouver BC