Physical Activity & Sedentary Behavior Guidelines for Children
Children in the early years should be physically active as a part of games, sports, recreation and physical education. For infants (under a year old), toddlers (ages 1 -2) and preschoolers (ages 3-4), the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology recommends the following guidelines.
Physical Activity Guidelines for Infants, Toddlers, & Preschoolers
Guidelines for Infants
- Physically active several times throughout the day
- Ie: interactive floor based play, tummy time, crawling around the home
Guidelines Toddlers and Preschoolers
- 180 minutes of physical activity at any intensity daily
- Ie: climbing stairs, playing outside, exploring their environment, crawling, brisk walking, dancing
- Work towards 60 minutes of energetic play by age 5
- Download Full PDF: Physical Activity Guidelines for Infants, Toddlers, & Preschoolers
Sedentary Behavior Guidelines for Infants, Toddlers, & Preschoolers
- Limit recreational screen time to no more than 2 hours a day
- Limit sedentary motorized transport, extended sitting and time spent indoors
- Download Full PDF: Sedentary Behavior Guidelines for Infants, Toddlers, & Preschoolers
What are the benefits of childhood physical activity?
- Improved movement skills
- Improved motor skills
- Increased fitness
- Develop self confidence
- Improved learning and attention
Promote Physical Activity With Your Child
Make sure your little one has safe places to play in, is supervised and is dressed for the weather so they can have fun and explore the outdoors. There are so many ways to promote physical activity with your child, you just have to put your mind to it and you’re off! Playing outdoors also offer you’re the opportunity to increase your own activity level! Get moving daily!
About our East Vancouver Wellness Centre
Learn more about Backs in Action on our website or drop-in and visit with our East Vancouver Chiropractor Dr. Farrah Jiwa! We are located a skytrain ride away from Burnaby and downtown Vancouver and are steps from the Commercial Broadway Skytrain!
2917 Hebb Avenue Vancouver BC