What is Iliotibial Band Syndrome?
- Ilio-Tibial (IT) Band: Tendon/ligament running down the side of the leg from the hip to the shin
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome is when the IT band rubs over the lateral epicondyle (bump of bone on the side of the knee) causing inflammation
- Also known as Iliotibial Band Friction Syndrome
- Commonly a running injury, ITBS also affects cyclists.
Causes of Iliotibial Band Syndrome?
- Repetitive Activities: Running uphill, Cycling, Sports
- Internal Rotation of the lower leg
Symptoms of Iliotibial Band Syndrome?
- Tenderness/Pain on the outside of the leg
- Swelling/Pain on the outside of the knee
Treatment for Iliotibial Band Syndrome?
- Custom Foot Orthotics
- Correct the pronation associated with ITB
- Alleviate stress off of the IT Band by reducing the rotational forces that act on the knee joint (more info)
- Massage Therapy for ITB Syndrome
- Myofascial Release and stretching of the Gluteal and TFL (Tensor fascia latae) muscles to release stress and tension of the IT Band.
- Stretches for ITB Syndrome
For more information on Iliotibial Band Syndrome , visit healthlinkbc.ca/healthtopics/content.asp?hwid=th1459
Backs in Action Wellness Centre is conveniently located steps from the Commercial Broadway Skytrain, which is only 10 minutes from Burnaby!