Getting in Shape and Preventing Injuries (Part One)
Is making your health a priority for the New Year? If you are not a serious athlete or a hard core exercise fanatic and just want to work out to prevent injury, improve your health, or fit into your clothes better, the gym can be an intimidating place to be. Having to walk by all the machines that you may or may not know how to use can be daunting.
Our Resident Commercial Drive Chiropractor, Dr. Farrah Jiwa, believes that some of the best physical activities for your body don’t require the gym! No matter your fitness level or age, we have compiled a list of 4 types of physical activity that can help you get in shape, prevent injuries, and lower your risk for disease. Let’s get you Back into Action by trying at least on of the below
- Swimming is great for taking the strain off painful joints. The buoyancy of the water supports your body so you can move more fluidly. Hence less pressure on your weight bearing joints (ie: back, hip, knee, ankle)
- If you don’t love to do laps, then water aerobics might be something you want to try out! Water Aerobic classes help you burn calories and tone up. Water is an excellent form of resistance.
- Did you know that walking helps you stay trim, lifts your mood and lowers your risk for many diseases including diabetes! Did you know that weight bearing exercises also help build bone?
- Start walking for 10-15minutes at a time and over time walk further and faster.
- Just make sure your have a good pair of running shoes and if you experience any foot pain, come into Backs in Action for a complimentary GaitScan Analysis and Postural Assessment.
The second half of this list will be coming soon, so keep a look out for some more exercises to add to your routine! These physical activities do wonders for your health, from keeping your weight under control to protecting your joints. If you would like some more exercise tips or joint health information, come in and see Dr. Farrah Jiwa for a Chiropractic Assessment today! Make 2015 a year of health and wellness!