The Benefits of Wearing Compression Hosiery
Travelling for long periods of time?
When sitting in a stationary position for long periods in a confined space, such as in an airplane or a long distance car ride, blood circulation in the legs is reduced. This is due to a lack of calf muscle contraction that fails to assist the circulatory system in returning blood to the heart. The increased strain on the circulation — whether from illness, injury, or inactivity — can lead to blood pooling in the lower extremities. As a result some may experience fatigue in the legs, pain, or swelling in the feet and ankles. These symptoms are risk factors for blood clot formation, which can lead to Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), a life threatening condition.
What is Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)?
Deep Vein Thrombosis also known as “Economy Class Syndrome” is the formation of blood clots on deep veins in the body. (2,3) The deep veins of the leg are surrounded by calf muscles which contract and force blood to the lungs and the heart. When the clots on these deep veins break apart, pieces can lodge into the lungs causing a life threatening pulmonary embolism.
How does Gradient Compression Hosiery Therapy help?
Compression Hosiery applies high pressure starting at the ankle which gradually decreases going to the upper leg. This graded pressure helps maintain normal blood flow during long flights and extended sitting periods. Compression hosiery helps to decrease the size of your veins to minimize blood pooling. Compression Hosiery also reinforces the pumping action of the calf muscles thus reducing leg discomfort.
For more on how Compression stockings help, read more about the benefits of compression stockings here.
Who Should Buy Compression Hosiery?
Compression Hosiery helps people who:
- Stand or sit for long periods on a regular basis
- Are Long Distance Travelers
- Compression Hosiery for Pilots, Flight Attendants, & Business Travelers
- Are pregnant
- Have a history of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Have Varicose Veins and/or Spider Veins
- Experience swelling in their legs and feet
Where to Buy Compression Hosiery in East Vancouver
At Backs in Action Wellness Centre we offer graded compression hosiery that is customized to you! We are located steps away from the Commercial Broadway Skytrain Station and are easily accessible from Burnaby and Downtown Vancouver.
Compression Hosiery is covered by many extended health insurance plans, so let us help you travel in comfort!
- 1. http://www.therafirm.com/tired-legs-and-feet
- 2. http://www.therafirm.com/dvt
- 3. Brandjes DP. Et al. Lancet 1997, American Public Health Association White Paper: Deep Vein Thrombosis: Advancing Awareness to Protect Patient Lives, February 26, 2003, US Surgeon General Office: www.surgeongeneral.gov, American Venous Forum: www.venous-info.org, Venous Disease Coalition: www.venousdiseasecoalition.org, Vascular Disease Foundation: www.vdf.org.