Vancouver Chiropractor: Treatment for Neck Pain
The neck is particularly susceptible to injury due, in part, to biomechanics. In fact, more than one-fifth of Canadians experience neck pain at any given time.
Neck pain can be caused by trauma including whiplash, pinched nerves and muscle spasms. Today’s modern lifestyle contributes to and perpetuates neck pain. Activities such as driving, hunching over workstations and sedentary activities all involve extended sitting, repetitive movements, and poor posture lead to everyday wear and tear. Luckily there are many ways to help decrease and even eliminate your neck pain!
Neck Pain Treatment in Vancouver
1) Chiropractic Care: Vancouver Chiropractors help restore mobility in your joints, by fixing the source of the pain rather than treating the symptoms.
- Treatment of Neck Pain may include cervical manipulation (neck adjustment) and joint mobilization which improve the mobility of the spine and flexibility of the adjoining muscles. Patients notice an improved range of motion and reduction of pain and stiffness. Stretches, postural education and home exercises are often prescribed as part of the treatment plan from a Vancouver Chiropractor.
2) Massage Therapy: Vancouver RMT’s perform Swedish massages to increase blood circulation and decrease tension in the neck muscles as well as trigger point release to achieve better range of motion.
3) Exercises: Suboccipital Strengthening (3 times a week)
- Stand with your back against the wall with your heels pressing against the wall and your shoulder blades flat against the wall.
- Place a small towel in the groove where your neck meets your head (sub occipital area)
- Push your head back by pulling your chin towards the wall
- Hold for 5 seconds, release and repeat 5-7 times
4) Stretches: Upper Trapezius Stretching (1-2 times a day)
- Sit on a chair
- Take your right hand and anchor it onto the chair, so your shoulder doesn’t move
- Bring your left ear towards the left shoulder
- With your free hand apply a little bit of pressure to the right side of your head
- You should feel the stretch on your right trapezius muscle
- Hold for 30 seconds and switch sides
There are numerous, “no drug”, “no surgery” holistic approaches to relieving your neck pain. Call Backs in Action Wellness Centre today to book an appointment with a Vancouver chiropractor or registered massage therapist!