Sungwoon Shawn Tjen
Sungwoon (Shawn) Tjen is a registered acupuncturist with the College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and Acupuncturists (CTCMA) of British Columbia. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from Simon Fraser University and completed a 4-year Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioner program at the International College of Traditional Chinese Medicine of Vancouver (ICTCMV).
Shawn has been actively practicing as an acupuncturist since 2012 under the mentorship of Dr. Xiao Mei Wang, a respected Doctor of Chinese Medicine. He has drawn much inspiration from Dr. Wang’s treatment methods, integrating Traditional Chinese modalities within each session including Tuina massage, acupressure, glass-cupping therapy, electro-stimulation and ear-seed therapy along with the use of TDP heat lamp and pad therapies to give each individual the best opportunities for a quick recovery.
Shawn’s treatment style goes beyond treating the problem to assist patients in achieving the right balance of the body’s Yin and Yang. This allows for an increase in the body’s strength and greater chances for preventing further development of disease and its long-term symptoms.
Shawn is committed to carefully understanding a patient’s health concerns, providing a clear and accurate diagnosis as well as effective treatments and working, where suitable, with other practitioners at Backs in Action to provide maximum benefits for all his patients. Shawn’s integrated approach to acupuncture has been particularly effective in the following conditions:
- Pain Management: sports injury, whiplash, strains and sprains, acute/chronic back pain, sciatica pain (Piriformis syndrome), neck and shoulder pain, frozen shoulder, tennis elbow, golfer’s elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome, knee and ankle pain, Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis
- Headaches and migraines
- Facial paralysis, Bell’s Palsy, TMJ
- Emotional disturbances – anxiety, depression
- Digestive Issues – indigestion, stomach pain, diarrhea/constipation
- Tinnitus, decreased hearing
- Quitting smoking
- Women’s health – PMS, menstrual dysfunction (painful, early, late, irregular)
- Low energy, chronic fatigue
- Stroke rehabilitation