What is Metatarsalgia?
- Metatarsalgia is a type of pain or inflammation in the metatarsal/ball of the foot.
- Also known as a “Stone Bruise” as it feels like you’re walking on stones
- It commonly occurs in the metatarsal head behind the big toe
Causes of Metatarsalgia?
- Collapse of MTP arch or dropped MTP heads
- High Impact Sports: Running. Basketball
- Aging: The foot pad cushioning decreases putting more pressure on the ball of the foot
- Arthritis: Causes joint pain in the foot
- High Heels: The tight nature of a high heel puts greater pressure on the ball of the foot.
- Repetitive Activity: Puts stress on your joints
Symptoms of Metatarsalgia?
- Sharp pain, numbness or tingling in the toes
- Shooting pain in the balls of the feet
- Bruising on the balls of the feet
Treatment for Metatarsalgia?
- Custom Foot Orthotics for Metatarsalgia:
- Decrease pressure on the MTP joint
- Metatarsal Pads in the orthotics will guard the balls of the feet
- Orthotics will allocate pressure evenly to the foot
- For more information or for treatment of metatarsalgia in Vancouver, including custom foot orthotics, and our Naturopathic Approach to Metatarsalgia, please call us at 604-876-9977 or come in to visit our East Vancouver Wellness Centre.